[Avodah] chanukah candles and women

Danny Schoemann doniels at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 08:13:29 PST 2008

>>> I still  do not understand why wives generally do not light chanukah candles
>>> according  to the Ashkenazi custom that each person lights separately....

HoRav Shimon Moshe Diskin zt"l wrote in Mas'eis HaMelech: [1]

The reason for Mehadrin in Chanuka lighting is because the miracle was
caused by  a Hidur Mitzva, as they could have lit with Tomai oil,
since Tuma is allowed in public.

Now, since there are 2 reasons for lighting; the salvation and
lighting the Menora, and we know that women are exempt from the Avodah
in the Bet Hamikdash (see Zera Avrohom 3:6)  therefore women only
light because of the salvation, since they too were part of that
miracle.

Therefor they have no Din of Mehadrin; after all, the reason for
lighting by oneself is only because of Mehadrin so therefore there's
no reason for them to light separately.

As a logical conclusion, if a woman lights, she wouldn't need to
follow the Mehadrin laws of Chanuka, however the laws of Hidur Mitzva
- up to a third - would apply. This would be a big Chidush (Mechudash
Beyoser) and needs research.

[1] Source: page 57, Kol HaTorah; Yeshiva Kol Torah's "Chanuka Torah
compendium 5769

- Danny, Zot Chanukah, Jerusalem.