[Avodah] JO Article about TIDE in Lithuania

Yitzchok Levine Larry.Levine at stevens.edu
Wed Dec 24 09:58:40 PST 2008

Rabbi Yosef Gavriel Bechhofer has kindly given me permission to post
his article dealing with TIDE schools in Lithuania that appears in
this month's Jewish Observer. It is at
http://www.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/rsrh/carlebach/east_meets_west.pdf

I consider this a very important article, because it makes it clear
that the gedolim in Lithuania were willing to provide a TIDE
education to the youth, because the environmental situation in
Lithuania had changed as a result of the modernization of the
country.  Indeed, it seems that not only were they willing, but that
they felt it was necessary.

Yitzchok Levine