[Avodah] Bringing Torah Im Derech Eretz to Lithuania

Yitzchok Levine Larry.Levine at stevens.edu
Sun Dec 21 10:47:49 PST 2008

 From an interview that I conducted with
Rebbetzin Etel Miller
("<http://personal.stevens.edu/%7Ellevine/miller_2.pdf>Rebbetzin
Chana Ettel Miller, a"h" The Hamodia September
24, 2008, page C35.) as well as from Dr. Rivka
Teitz Blau's biography of her father, Rav
Mordechai Pinchas Teitz, Learn Torah, Live Torah,
Love Torah,  I was aware that there were 3 Yavneh schools in Lithuania.

However, from Ish Yehudi, the biography of Rav
Joseph Tzvi Carlebach, I recently learned that
TIDE was brought to Lithuania after the Germans
occupied this county not long after the start of
WW I in 1914. This was done by German Orthodox
rabbonim. Rabbi Joseph Tzvi Carlebach played a key role in this.

I have posted almost all of Chapter 14 from Ish
Yehudi at
http://www.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/rsrh/carlebach/tide_lita.pdf
(There are two pages of pictures that I left
out.) This material describes how TIDE schools
were set up in Lithuania and their success.

The following is from this chapter. Note second
paragraph that says that the TIDE schools were
established in consultation "with the local
rabbinical authorities, including some of
Lithuania's foremost Torah scholars."

Also note the final paragraph given below and who
Rav Reuvein Grozovsky credits with saving the
Slabodka Yeshiva. See the link above for the entire chapter.

The lack of proper schooling for Jewish
youngsters was a matter of great concern to the
Occupation authorities. The traditional cheder
provided schooling only at the elementary level;
there was no organized educational system for
high school and beyond. To address that need, Dr.
Rosenak was asked to recommend an experienced
educator who combined Jewish and secular
scholarship, to establish and direct a school in
Lithuania's capital city of Kovno.

Dr. Rosenak could not think of anyone better
qualified for such an assignment than his
brother-in-law, the Rav [Rabbi Joseph Tzvi
Carlebach]. The educational experience of his
years in Jerusalem and at the Margareten Lyceum
in Berlin, had the Rav's status as a first rate
educator firmly established. With doctorates in
mathematics and philosophy included in his
resume, he received the call. Reporting to the
High Command -North East, he was promoted to
captain with the title of advisor on educational
matters, and invested with full authority to
proceed with the schooling plan. Following
extensive consultations with the local rabbinical
authorities, including some of Lithuania's
foremost Torah scholars, the Rav laid the
foundations for a gymnasium-type school, based
upon the principles of Torah im Derech Eretz,
combining Torah lessons with secular subjects.
Since the German authorities limited the number
of weekly hours of instruction for religious
subjects, the Rav introduced Hebrew as a foreign
language, thus doubling the hours available for
limuday kodesh, including Talmud for the boys and
Tenach (Bible and Prophets) for the girls. The
Rav was able to persuade a number of highly
qualified teachers from Germany to join him, in
his pioneering effort on behalf of the
chinuch-deprived Jewish youth in the occupied
territories. Notable among them was Dr. Leo
Deutschlaender, whose name became famous, some
years later, for his enormous contribution to the Beth Jacob school system.

Known locally as the Carlebach Gymnasium, the
school began with fewer than a hundred students,
as many parents were reluctant to entrust their
children to the new educators who wore German
army uniforms. The more religious-leaning among
them were afraid that the new school might
secularize their children, while the more secular
minded were afraid of religious indoctrination.
The Rav went from house to house to introduce
himself and his program, winning over the parents
of potential candidates. The enthusiastic
reaction of the initial student body further
dispelled any doubts about the quality of the
education and the spirit in which it was guided.
Ultimately, the whole-hearted endorsement of the
community leadership, both religious and
communal, soon made enrollment in the gymnasium a sought-after prize.

This additional aspect o£ the Rav's blessed activities during World
War I remained unreported for decades, until a number of years after
World War II. At that time, the gaon and tzaddik, Rabbi Eliezer Y. Finkel,
dean of the world famous Yeshivat Mil' of Jerusalem, came to New
York to raise funds for the rebuilding of his Torah institution. He visited
the gaon, Rabbi Reuvein Grozovsky, a former talmid of Slobodka
Yeshivah and eminent Lithuanian Torah leader, who had already
established himself as one of the outstanding Torah personalities in
the U.S. Among Rabbi Finkel's entourage was the Rav's younger son.
Upon being introduced, Rabbi Grozovsky became very excited. Turning
to Rabbi Finkel he exclaimed, "I can bear witness that if not for
the intervention of this young man's father, the gaon Rav Joseph Tzvi
Carlebach, may HASHEM avenge his blood, Slobodka Yeshiva would
have ceased to exist. And not only Slobodka, but all the great T()rah
institutions in Lithuania, were saved through his intervention, and his
strenuous efforts to provide for their sustenance."