[Avodah] Making Coffee on Shabbos

Gershon Dubin gershon.dubin at juno.com
Wed Dec 17 11:27:25 PST 2008

The Aruch Hashulchan gives the analogous case with tea (leaves) and is vehemently against it, as tea is considered kalei habishul.  I don't see reason to think coffee is any different.

Gershon (coffee addict)Dubin
gershon.dubin at juno.com

-- Steven J Scher <sjscher at eiu.edu> wrote:

OC 319:9 reads:

It is forbidden to put dregs inside a strainer even when the strainer was
hanging before Shabbos, but if the dregs were put inside before Shabbos it
is permitted to pour water over them until the water becomes clear.

[This is based on Shabbos 139b].

[BTW: Someone posted a link to an online version of the Shulchan Aruch,
but I've lost it.  Could someone send me that url again?]

It occured to me as I was learning this that this would allow one to make
coffee with a cone filter as long as you put the ground coffee into the
filter before shabbos.

The goal is the same: you want to get some of the flavor out of the
dregs/coffee.  You pour in clear hot water, and get out the coffee.

An obvious concern is bishul.  Coffee beans are roasted, but yesh bishul
acher tzli.  Therefore, you have to use a kli sheni.

Another possible concern is that I believe the water that you pour into
the filter has to be such that at least some people would drink it. Since
we're talking about hot water here, some could raise the question of
whether that applies.  But, there are people who drink plain hot water,
no?

So, this means that you could have fresh coffee on Shabbos!  I'm posting
here because I can't imagine no one else has ever thought of this.  But,
I've never heard of anyone doing it.  Is there a reason why not?

Thanks,

Steve

PS - I am learning these halachot through Shema Yisroel/Pirchei Shoshanim.
I mention this for two reasons.  THe main one is that I already emailed
Rav David Ostroff, who writes the shiurim on Shabbos for Shema Yisorel.
He confirms that my logic seems sound.  By no means do I question his
qualifications to decide that, but I am nervous that I somehow framed the
question incompletely to him.  The fact that I've never heard anyone do
this before makes be very nervous to try it.

I also want to mention in passing a word about Shema Yisroel, which has
been mentioned with some disdain on A/A various times.  I am NOT pursuing
semicha through them.  If I was going to try and get semicha, I would
certainly NOT want to do it online (and if there are any generous
benefactors out there who would like to support my family and me for 5 or
6 years, I could consider it).

However, although I agree that it is inappropriate to get semicha online,
I want to say that this program has been very helpful for someone like me
who lives somewhere with limited learning opportunities, and
who came to Torah later in life -- after career and family were well
established.  I can't drop everything and go learn (unless that benefactor
steps fowrard!).  Having this resource -- along with other things like
Partners in Torah, which is also part of this process -- has been crucial
to my being able to live a Torah lifestyle.

OK enough of this non-Avodike stuff.  I'm eager to hear your thoughts on
my coffee questions.  Offers for support should go to private email.
Comments on Shema Yisroel.com should go to Areivim.

Steve

Steven J. Scher              sjscher at eiu.edu         Listen to WEFT 90.1FM
Department of Psychology     217-581-7269            www.weft.org
Eastern Illinois University
Charleston, IL 61920         I would discuss the holy books with the learned
USA                          men seven hours every day.  That would be the
                              sweetest thing of all...