[Avodah] Popular Misconception About the Hirschian System

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Wed Dec 17 07:57:27 PST 2008

 From
<http://www.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/rsrh/Clarification%20of%20RSRH_danziger.pdf>Clarification
of R. Hirsch's Concepts - A Rejoinder by Rabbi S. Danziger

There is a popular notion that, unlike Hasidism and Musar, which
attempted to deepen the religious experience of the Jew, the
Hirschian system aimed at merely preserving Judaism against the
onslaught of Western culture. It is our conviction that this notion
is erroneous. Study of R. Hirsch's writings and commentaries has been
for many a most effective source of Musar, deepening our spiritual
grasp of Judaism. At any rate, the deepening of spiritual experience
is the very basis of R. Hirsch's conception, and the very result of
the careful study of that conception.

This should be the goal, the task of all disciples of Rabbeinu
Hirsch, who still are, with certain illustrious exceptions, far from
the spiritual depth, in the study of Torah and in the observance of
Mitzvot, which R. Hirsch demanded.

This article was written in 1963.

Yitzchok Levine