[Avodah] : esav

SBA sba at sba2.com
Tue Dec 16 06:10:38 PST 2008

From: Micha Berger
 SBA wrote:
: .. a Parsha Shiur ..by Reb Yankele zt'l, the Pshevorsker rebbe in Antwerp.
: He expresses great astonishment at this Rashbam.
: 1) Because the Rashbam usually goes for posheter pshat, and
: 2) What is the Rashbam's source for this?
---
1- Why is the notion that Esav intended kavod, not a threat, a stretch in
the words?

The next pasuk: "Vayira Yaakob me'od vayetzer lo.vayomer im yovoy Esav el
hamachneh ha'achas vehikohu."  See how the Rashbam explains that.

I had another look at the Rashbam today. (BTW, the Chizkuni more or less
says the same thing as the Rashbam.)

Lulei demistafina, I would suggest that the Rashbam is saying that while the
Malochim came back to Yaakov saying that they had no doubt that Esav is
coming with his 400 chevra  to give you a nice welcome,  Yaakov was far
cleverer than them.
He knew Esav only too well and had plenty reason to be afraid.

KNLAD.

SBA