[Avodah] Jewish Hyper-sensitivity

Meir Rabi meirabi at optusnet.com.au
Tue Dec 16 03:45:36 PST 2008

Despite all the above it is indeed proper not to use it, and those who are
careful and have a Jewish sensitivity try to avoid it.

I remember once an announcement in Oxford shul including directions to the
location of a meeting. Rather than mention the name of the college they said
something like "The third turning on the right after you-know-who
you-know-what".

I wonder how we determine what is appropriate sensitivity LifNim MiShuRas
HaDin and what is just bizarre behaviour?

How can we know  what is proper "Jewish sensitivity" as though those who are
not particular about saying certain words or wearing certain fashions or
singing certain songs are lacking proper Jewish sensitivity.

Perhaps those who claim "Jewish sensitivity" are too sensitive and have
distorted Halacha and are aberrant in their thinking. If we do not have
halcha as an absolute standard then how can we ever determine what is
properly sensitive or just plain old Chossid Shotah and Rasha Arum, people
who certainly do not see themselves as doing anything but that which is
right and proper in the eyes of HKBH

Meir Rabi