[Avodah] Truth about Sheva Brochos

cantorwolberg at cox.net cantorwolberg at cox.net
Mon Dec 15 14:26:12 PST 2008

R' Micha asks:
Since the CS holds that the point of panim chadashos is to add joy to
the meal, why would the qatan have to know what's going on?

Good question. There are two aspects. The mere presence of the katan could very well add joy, or ch'v detract from the joy if the katan was crying, screaming or being disruptive.

I think the point of the katan knowing what's going on would minimize the possibility of the katan being disruptive, thereby, adding joy to the meal.
I don't know about you, but anytime I've had a meal with a disruptive katan, it was certainly no joy. On the other hand, if I had a katan at the meal who knew what was going on and cognitively well disposed, it would add to the joy of the meal.
ri