[Avodah] RSRH about Shimon and Levi

Meir Rabi meirabi at optusnet.com.au
Mon Dec 15 03:46:02 PST 2008

Is it not striking that in the dialogue between YaAkov and his sons, the
Torah leaves the sons with the last word, "should our sister then be treated
like a harlot?"?

[BTW the two question marks looks bizarre is it correct?]

Perhaps the response was not a matter of principle, that's no way to treat
my sister; but a matter of survival - If we allow this to go unpunished then
we will certainly be seen as easy prey and attacked from all quarters. Is
the T saying this is a legitimate and unanswerable position? But
nevertheless it is not the T way?

In a slightly similar fashion Yosef tells his brothers Bereishis 50:19,
"don't worry I am not going to harm you, even though you deserve to be for
your terrible behaviour [since they never resolved and gained Mechilah from
Yosef] because I understand that this is to meted out by HKBH and I am not
HKBH." This is reflected in the Medrash of R Bachya that the Paytan of the
ten martyrs puts the accusation/rationalisation in the mouth of the torturer
that the martyrs are being tortured for the unresolved sin of the ten
brothers against Yosef.

Meir Rabi