[Avodah] Sephardi-ism: some food for thought

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Wed Dec 10 10:20:26 PST 2008

In Avodah 25:405, RMB wrote:
> RRW seems to be descriing a world in which someday a good peice of
> software running atop the Bar Ilan CD might be a better poseiq than
> any human.

Not necessarily. If I understand correctly, RRW still leaves room for
developments in halakhah, but wouldn't want these developments to creep in
into lema'asseh until the innovation has been digested and criticized and
quoted. Thus, humans would still be those who suggest developments and come up
with hidushim, but an impersonal algorithm would prevent any chiduush from
seeping into practice too soon.

Still, I side more with RMB, while aknowledging that it is open to abuse,
which RRW's system prevents.
--
Arie Folger
http://ariefolger.wordpress.com