[Avodah] Questions as a Result of the Flatbush Lakewood

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Mon Dec 8 05:17:06 PST 2008

At 06:06 AM 12/8/2008, you wrote:
>Yaaqov was punished for not leaving a message home while at Lavan's. He
>was away at Yeshivas Eiver for 14 years, and at Lavan's for another 22.
>Note that Yoseif didn't contact him for 22 years, the same length of
>time as his time at Lavan. Not contacting Yitzchaq and Rivqa while
>learning appears to be more justifiable.
>
>It would seem that the importance isn't comparable. Also, the first 14
>of the 22 years weren't for money.

I ams sure that here is typo in the above, since the Chumash openly
says that Yaakov was with Lavan for 20 years. (Bereishis 31:38)

I fail to see what difference it makes that Yaakov worked for money
or not for money. The point I tried to make was that he did work in
Lavan's house for 20 years. In addition, he continued working after
he left Lavan's house.

Does not the fact that the Torah makes no mention of Yaakov learning
in yeshiva telling? If these years were more important, then I would
have expected the Torah to mention Yaakov's learning explicitly. I am
sure there is an answer, but I do not know it.

YL