[Avodah] The more one has ...

Yitzchok Levine Larry.Levine at stevens.edu
Sun Dec 7 14:37:09 PST 2008

 From the new translation of RSRH's commentary on Bereishis  32: 11 I
have become too small from all the kindness and all the faithfulness
that You have rendered to Your servant, for with [only] my staff I
crossed this Yarden, and now I have become two camps.

I am not praying and appealing for myself; I have already received from
You so much that I am unable to thank You for it all; I am diminished
from all the kindness. For a person's stature is not measured by the
absolute amount of his accomplishments, but by the relative magnitude
of his accomplishment, compared to what he received. The more one
has, the greater the danger to him of being diminished in merit.