[Avodah] nefilat apayim without minyan

Simon Krysl skrysl at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 00:50:46 PST 2008

Dear R. Berger,
many thanks, especially for the footnotes. (A previous discussion on aishdas
mentions the custom of Rav Soloveitchik of doing nefilat apayim without a
Torah scroll, as well as further machlokot on the question.) Have been doing
KSA Yomi too- R. Ganzfried is clear on not doing nefilat apayim in the
absence of a Torah scroll, while there are other opinions.
My main question, however, concerned the necessity of a minyan for actually
falling on one s face (rather than sitting straight and reciting the psalm):
I was told, the last time there was no minyan in the shul I pray, that
without a minyan this is not done, and was looking for sources (viz.
disputes, viz. minhagim in other places) for this.
Thank you again.
Simon Krysl