[Avodah] Sephardi-ism: some food for thought

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Dec 4 14:56:55 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 11:16pm EST, R Richard Wolpoe wrote:
: Bet Yosef, Kar hachaim and ROY all list as many opionions as they can.  It
: is one of my criticisms of MB that at times he cherry picks an opinion.

This is only a gripe with the MB because usually he doesn't. And in fact
both his title page and his haqdamah say that this survey of shitos is
the whole point (or at least a primary point, to avoid some long-stanging
debates) of the book.

Otherwise:
: This is why many Saphardic chachamim seem to feel ashkenaziim are not
: playing straight because they list sources suporting their theses and often
: omit those that do not fit the paradigm.

: Now that does not mean all Seaphrdic methods are better.  Ashkenazim excell
: in getting to the underlying sevara and tend to be more analytical than
: encyclopedic...

IOW, the Sepharadim are complaining that the typical Ashk methodology is
different than theirs. More development of one idea and its justifications
than of the list of shitos.

Of course Seph methodology will rank better by Seph criteria, and
similarly most East European rabbanim would view the more lomdus-based
approach as superior. Yekkish style is its own beryah.

: Micha and I have endless debatges on Halchicc metholody. Regardles of what
: system one uses, it is nice to have a more obejctive system than a
: subjective system...

I even disagree with that. It's nice to think that humans have a more
creative role than that. I would agree that the better defined the limits
of the system are, the more useful it is. But I would hate to think that
the ideal halachic system is one with less autonomy. Subjective within
an objectively defined range of possibilities would to my mind better
balance the notion that both Hashem and the chakham participate in the
creation of pesaq.

RRW seems to be descriing a world in which someday a good peice of
software running atop the Bar Ilan CD might be a better poseiq than
any human.

: Many posqkim are imho all over the place.  One modern poseiq seemed to have
: been a devote of the Rambam in gneral, but when it came to women reading tge
: megillah he apparently advocated a Humra based upon the Magen
" Avraham...

That needn't be an indication of his being all over the place.

Perhaps he gives a lot of authority to the Rambam, but not total. IN
which case:
:                                  It is POSSIBLE that he felt it was the
: logical or correct read in this case, but it has led a lot of people to see
: this as putting subjective concerns over obejctive ones.

It's not only possible, it would be a plausible reason why in this one
case some other consideration actually got to the point of outweighing
the Rambam, even though to his system, such cases are very rare.

He could be unconsciously following very consistent guidelines, and that
"lot of people" simply are misjudging him. (I through in "unconsciously"
because I don't think any poseiq actually sits down and maps a system
and follows it.)