[Avodah] R' Aviner on gadol hador status

Samuel Svarc ssvarc at yeshivanet.com
Wed Dec 3 20:25:57 PST 2008

R' MYG:
> > R' David Riceman:
> > It's true that the language is ambiguous,
> > but I don't think that either the Rama or
> > the Trumath HaDeshen needs to be understood as saying that
> > "gadol hador" is a position which can be occupied by only one
> > person at a time.
>
> Gemara Mefureshes: Sukkah 47a.

I looked at the Gemara and don't see what the rayah is. The colloquial usage
today is to talk about a Gadol, the Gadol HaDor, and the Gedolim. The first
and last expression being used for multiple persons and the middle
expression being reserved for the speaker's preferred pick. The Gemara is
saying "and all the Gedolim, in one sukkah". No rayah to the discussion.

I do think from the before-referenced halacha in SA that one tears kriah
upon the death of the Gadol HaDor, that the logical implication is that it
refers to one specific person (especially if one looks at the reasons given
for the halacha). This halacha, presumably, is on the one person in the
geographical area of knowledge who is THE Gadol sh'b'kulom.

KT,
MSS