[Avodah] gadol hador

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 05:11:34 PST 2008

<<While a number of rabbanim in any given generation  attain renown and respect
for their Torah learning and authority, the title  of "THE godol hador" can
only be given posthumously, often many years after  the demise of "the" godol
hador.  Looking back now, for example, I think  everybody would agree that the
Rambam was "the" godol hador of his dor, and the  Vilna Gaon was "the" godol
hador of his dor, but in their lifetimes I don't  think their status was
uncontested.>>

>From meory Rambam was a contemporary of Rabbenu Tam. I for one would
not want to choose
between them.

As for the Vilna gaon he was truly a Gaon but had limited impact on
his generation.

Even after many years I dont think there is any such thing as THE gadol hador.
Choose between Rashba and Rosh????
Among achronim its even harder or rather impossible

--
Eli Turkel