[Avodah] R' Aviner on gadol hador status

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Dec 2 11:48:08 PST 2008

From: "Rich, Joel" _JRich at sibson.com_ (mailto:JRich at sibson.com)

>>One person says that this rabbi is the "Gadol Ha-Dor," while  another
says that another rabbi is the "Gadol Ha-Dor." <<

While a number of rabbanim in any given generation  attain renown and respect
for their Torah learning and authority, the title  of "THE godol hador" can
only be given posthumously, often many years after  the demise of "the" godol
hador.  Looking back now, for example, I think  everybody would agree that the
Rambam was "the" godol hador of his dor, and the  Vilna Gaon was "the" godol
hador of his dor, but in their lifetimes I don't  think their status was
uncontested.

--Toby Katz
"If you don't read the  newspaper you are uninformed;
if you do read the newspaper you are  misinformed."
--Mark Twain
Read *Jewish World Review* at _http://jewishworldreview.com/_
(http://jewishworldreview.com/)
AOL.com.