[Avodah] [Areivim] Reading the Ingredient Panel

Harry Weiss hjweiss at panix.com
Mon Dec 1 06:30:05 PST 2008

> From: Harry Maryles <hmaryles at yahoo.com> Subject: Re: [Avodah] [Areivim]

> does not say so on their ingredient panel, then one can be assured that
> a product has no milk or milk product in it - even if it has a D
> attached to the Hechsehr. The OU policy is to label those products that
> are dairy free but made in?dairy equipement? with a D for dairy. The
> reason they do that is because most people don't know that the only
> thing one may not do with such food is cook it with meat products. One
> may however eat such a product after eating meat. Chaf-K does in fact
> label their products DE when appropriate. I'm not sure about other

Some products may be fully Pareve.  I often use the TraderJoes merrengues
which for years were OU Parve and are now OU Dairy.  I contacted the OU to
check if they were dairy or dairy equipment.  (I hightly recommend
contacting the OU to get that information rather than relying on the
ingredient panel.  They are glad to give out that information.)  They said
it was totally pareve, but the manufacturer wanted to change their
prooduction in the future and that I should check with them regularly to
check on the status.

Harry J. Weiss
hjweiss at panix.com