[Avodah] RSRH's Essay on The Jewish Woman

Yitzchok Levine Larry.Levine at stevens.edu
Sun Nov 30 07:02:03 PST 2008

This Shabbos I had a chance to read RSRH's long essay titled The
Jewish Woman. IMO this is a masterful presentation of the role of the
Jewish woman. It contains such marvelous insights that  I feel that
relevant parts of this essay should be taught to all yeshiva high
school boys and girls. In addition, I think that some of Rav Hirsch's
insights into marriage should be part and parcel of all Kallah and
Chosson classes. I have put this essay at

<http://www.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/rsrh/jewish_woman.pdf>The
Jewish Woman (Collected Writings VIII)
<http://www.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/rsrh/jewish_woman_83_94.pdf>Pages
83 - 94
<http://www.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/rsrh/jewish_woman_95_112.pdf>Pages
95 -
112
<http://www.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/rsrh/jewish_woman_113_135.pdf>Pages
113 - 135

The first link is to the entire essay which is 53 pages long. For
those who do not have a high speed connection or who have trouble
handling pdf files, I have broken the essay into 3 parts, as the
above indicates.  Please keep in mind that one can buy the Collected
Writings of RSRH at www.feldheim.com .

Here is a small sample from this essay.

In view of the foregoing. a man should exercise more care and purity
of mind in selecting a wife than in any other decision. Some take a
wife out of sensuality, others out of greed. others for personal
ambition, and still others with pure intentions that are pleasing to
God. One who marries out of sensuality will have disobedient and
rebellious children. That is why the Biblical laws regarding marriage
to a woman that was captured in battle are followed by the laws
concerning the "stubborn and rebellious son." If a man marries for
money, he will end his days in poverty and dependence on charity. The
sons of Eli. who married women out of greed, lived through the
humiliation of seeing what was left of their home sold to others for
one coin and one loaf of bread. One who marries a man out of ambition
will have descendants doomed to ruin. Jehoshaphat, king of Judah.
dazzled by the splendor of the palace of Ahab, allied himself to the
latter by marriage. What was the result? After his death. Athalia,
the mother of his grandson, killed every possible rival in the family
to make sure she could rule over Israel.

On the other hand. a man who takes a wife with pure and pious
intentions will have children who will bring happiness and salvation
to Israel. This was the case with Amram who, through his wife
Yocheved. became the father of Moses and Aaron. Another case in point
was Obed, the son of Boaz and Ruth, ancestor of David and Solomon.

Yitzchok Levine