[Avodah] Toldos "There's Hope For The Worst Of Us"

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Sat Nov 22 14:46:33 PST 2008

The sages envision a day when God will come to judge the Jewish people
for their sins, and Yitzchok will rise to defend them.  Why Yitzchok?
										                Because he will be entitled to say to God,
“I had a wicked child and I loved him. Can You not do the same?” (BT
Shab.89a).

In some way this mentality can be compared to how Avraham pleaded for
the evil people of Sodom; but in this case it's much more powerful,
since
                                                                                         Yitzchok
  is not pleading for strangers. He's pleading for his flesh and
blood. Also, Yitzchok was willing to be sacrificed for God, so now he
hopes that God will return the favor.

rw