[Avodah] pikuach nefesh

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun Nov 16 06:38:04 PST 2008

Rich, Joel wrote:

> Actually I was thinking about karov lmalchut as a starting point.

Where in hilchot shabbat/yomtov do we find any kind of heter for karov
lemalchut?  AFAIK that heter is found for chukot hagoy, and even for
drinking their wine; I could therefore see extending it to bishul akum,
etc., but how does it leap the conceptual gap to chilul yomtov?

Also, the heter for karov lemalchut is based on the fact that there are
regularly gezerot against Jewish lives which the shtadlan has to defeat,
and to do so he has to remain at court.  Here that consideration doesn't
apply.

But the heter of a double-derabbanan for tzorchei tzibbur is directly
in hilchot shabbat/yomtov, so that seems like a straightforward place
to look for a heter in this case.  If he had a telephone from Mechon
Tzomet we wouldn't even be talking about this; but I assume he doesn't.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.