[Avodah] Even More on How the Torah Portrays Great Men

Yitzchok Levine Larry.Levine at stevens.edu
Sun Nov 9 10:46:21 PST 2008

Rabbi Nosson Kamenetsky discusses different views about relating
stories about great men of previous generations that may contain
negative incidents. He writes in the Forward to the Improved Edition
of the Making of a Godol:

I came across a striking disagreement between two famous brothers on
the subject of stories about great men of previous generations. R'
Shimon Schwab in his Selected Writings. defines the difference
between history and "storytelling" in that the first must be
"truthful, and unsparing of even the failings of the righteous". R'
Schwab asserts eloquently that "a realistic historic picture" will
reveal "inadequacies" which will "rightfully make a lot of people
angry" and that "no ethical purpose is served by preserving" such a
picture; he contends that we must "put a veil over the human failings
of our forebears and glorify all the rest which is great and
beautiful (emphasis added)". In other words, he favors "storytelling"
over "history". He coins an adage: "We do not need realism: we need
inspiration from our forefathers." That author's brother, R' Mordkhai
Schwab, however, had a negative view of "story tell-when he told me,
"The Satmarer Rav, R' Yoilish Teitelbaum, never told 'stories '
because he said, 'You cannot educate through lies [shekar].''' R'
Mordkhai agreed with R' Yoilish in reference to stories intended to
glorify their principals while dehumanizing them.

I have put all of what R. Nosson wrote about this topic at
http://www.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/rsrh/moag_forward.pdf

Yitzchok Levine