[Avodah] Another View on How to Portray People of the Past

Yitzchok Levine Larry.Levine at stevens.edu
Fri Nov 7 07:11:14 PST 2008

The following is from  Haskalah, Secular Studies
and the Close of the Yeshiva in Volozhin in 1892
by Rabbi Dr. J. J. Schachter. The entire
essay  may be read at
http://www.yutorah.org/_shiurim/TU2_Schachter.pdf
The reader may also want to see Facing the Truths
of History at http://yuriets.yeshivalive.com/TU8_Schachter.pdf

YL

Rabbi Schacter writes, "In a recently published
essay [R. S. Schwab, Selected Writings (Lakewood,
1988), 234], Rabbi Shimon Schwab justified this
neglect of history on positive ideological
grounds rather than simply considering it as
reflecting an avoidance of bittul Torah. His
comments are remarkable and deserve being cited in detail:

'There is a vast difference between history and
storytelling. History must be truthful.
otherwise, it does not desert its name. A book of
history must report the bad with the good, the
ugly with the beautiful, the difficulties and the
victories, the guilt and the virtue. Since it is
supposed to be truthful, it cannot spare the
righteous if he fails, and it cannot skip the
virtues of the villain. For such is truth, all is
told the way it happened. Only a Navi mandated by
his Divine calling has the ability to report
history as it really happened, unbiased and without prejudice.

Suppose one of us today would want to write a
history of Orthodox Jewish life in pre-holocaust
Germany. There is much to report but not
everything is complimentary. Not all of the
important people were flawless as one would like
to believe and not all the mores and lifestyles
of this bygone generation were beyond criticism.
An historian has no right to take sides. He most
report the stark truth and nothing but the truth.
Now, if an historian would report truthfully what
he witnessed, it would make a lot of people
rightfully angry. He would violate the
prohibition against spreading Loshon Horah which
does not only apply to the living, but also to
those who sleep in the dust and cannot defend themselves any more.

What ethical purpose is served by preserving a
realistic historic picture? Nothing but the
satisfaction of curiosity. We should tell
ourselves and our children the good memories of
the good people, their unshakeable faith, their
staunch defense of tradition, their life of
truth, their impeccable honesty, their boundless
charity and their great reverence for Torah and
Torah sages. What is gained by pointing out their
inadequacies and their contradictions? We want to
be inspired by their example and learn from their experience.

When Noach became intoxicated, his two sons Shem
and,Japhet, took a blanket and walked into his
tent backwards to cover the nakedness of their
father. Their desire was to always remember their
father as the Tzaddik Tomim  in spite of his
momentary weakness. Rather than write the history
of our forebears, every generation has to put a
veil over the human failings of its elders and
glorify all the rest which is great and
beautiful. That means we have to do without a
real history book. We can do without. We do not
need realism, we need inspiration from our
forefathers in order to pass it on to posterity.'"

Rabbi Dr. Schacter then comments,

"It is interesting that Rabbi Schwab does not
deny that "important people" and "good people"
have failings and inadequacies. Rather, he
suggests that they are best overlooked and forgotten.

However, even this remarkable argument (which
merits its own analysis) explains only the
neglect and disregard of history: it does nor
justify the distorting of history. While it may
explain why one should not write about the past,
it does not justify distorting the past when one
does write about it. Inventing the past is as
foolish as foretelling the future, but more scandalous.

This point was made forcefully and tellingly by
Rabbi Joseph Elias in a review article written
over twenty years ago. [See Joseph Elias, "Past
and Present in the Teaching of Jewish History,"
The Jewish observer IV:8 (November, 1967), 18,
23. The italics are by the author.]

He wrote:

... the later history of the Jew can help most
significantly toward a proper understanding of
our sacred heritage and of our duty here and now.
Through it we can convey to our youth the
principles which underline and emerge from our
past, and their application to the problems and
issues of our time. Let it be well understood,
however, we must see the present in the light of
the past and not, reversely, project the passing
ideas of the day, its confusions and uncertainties, into the past...

If he (i.e., "the Torah historian") permits his
values and judgements to be subject to the
influence of his age, he will arrive at a
distorted picture of both the Torah world and the
secular world—and he will even project these
distortions into that past from which he could have learned the truth."