[Avodah] Hypocrisy in halakhah

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Wed Nov 5 04:44:35 PST 2008

RMM wrote:
> know Rabbi Dr. J. H. Hertz refers to Jews' College as the sister of
> JTS, but remember that this was during the Orthodox days of JTS when
> there was thought of fusing JTS and YU.

A lot earlier. The talk of the merger was in 1926 (though there is also a
mention a 1906 proposal, but that is not what people talk about usually).
From
http://www.jewishpress.com/page.do/21367/America's_First_Native-Born,_University-Educated_Orthodox_Rabbi.html
> Indeed, in 1902 and later in 1926 there were efforts to merge JTS with
> Yeshiva Rabbi Yitzchok Elchonan (RIETS). (See Bernard Revel, by Aaron
> Rakeffet-Rothkoff, Feldheim Publishers, second edition, 2000, pages
> 102-114.)

At that time, JTS was out of O, as is evident, for example, from Rabbi Dr.
Revel's opposition to the plan. I paraphrase from memory. In RIETS, they
learn Talmud, in JTS only *about* Talmud. Same for other important subjects.
The he writes that JTS is developing/has developed into another movement,
incompatible with YU's commitment to Halakhah and Messorah.

Rabbi Herz, however, left JTS in 1894 (from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_H._Hertz ):
> Joseph Hertz was born in Rebrin, Hungary (now Slovakia), and emigrated to
> New York City in 1884. He was educated at New York City College (BA),
> Columbia University (PhD) and the Jewish Theological Seminary of America
> (Rabbi, 1894, the Seminary's first graduate). His first Ministerial post was
> at Syracuse, New York.

Kol tuv,
--
Arie Folger