[Avodah] Kiddush in shul Friday night

Elazar M. Teitz remt at juno.com
Sat Nov 1 23:46:53 PDT 2008

R. Dov Kay Writes;

<I am curious as to the mainstream custom in shuls in pre-war Lithuania.  I don't have the AhS to hand, but don't recall his saying that the custom was not practised, so presumably it was (together with the recital of maarovos and other customs that are now stigmatised as "Yekkish").  I notice that many Litvaks (or neo-Litvaks) davka adopt Yeshivishe customs, even though these were not practised in the vast majority of shuls in Lita (eg yisgadeil rather than yisgadal).  Does anyone know where to found a collection of mainstream Litvish minhag (other than AhS)?>

     The community in which I live was founded about 130 years ago primarily by Litvaks, and has, by and large, preserved its minhagim since. I understood from my father z"l that they were the standard in pre-war Lita. These included the saying of maaravis on Yom Tov, saying the piyutim in chazaras hasha"tz on Yom Tov and the arba parshios, and making kiddush and havdala in shul.  However, starting about 55 years ago my father had kiddush made by pre-bar mitzva boys, although if none are present, the chazzan still says it.

     Havdala, unlike kiddush, _was_ made in the beis midrash of the yeshivos I attended, since (unlike the situation for kiddush) the boys had no reason to gather on motza'ei Shabbos.

     As far as yisgadeil vs. yisgadal is concerned, it is a very recent yeshivishe practice.  In my yeshiva days, the '40s and '50s, yisgadal was exclusively said: in Torah Vodaath, the Mir, Telshe, Ponevez and Ner Israel. (I was well-traveled.)  I have also noticed that many of those who say yisgadeil will say "tisgadal v'siskadash" in the k'dusha of shacharis on Shabbos.