[Avodah] Monagamy [was: Hypocrisy in halakhah]

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Fri Oct 31 10:12:32 PDT 2008

From: Zev Sero _zev at sero.name_ (mailto:zev at sero.name)

Rich, Joel  wrote:

> Question: What was the driving force behind the takkana of  rabbeinu
> gershom on monogamy?

Wasn't it his own experience of  the consequence of lack of sholom bayis?

--

There seems to be some disagreement on that  point.  Some think the story of
his unhappy domestic life with two wives is  an urban legend.  (I think that
Marcus Lehman wrote a novel about it -- the  first wife was a tzadekes but
childless, the second wife was a machsheifa  -- I don't remember the whole story.)
Many seem to think that he was motivated  by a concern that the Jews not seem
to be on a lower moral plane than their  Christian neighbors.

R' Berel Wein writes: "[I]n a Christian society where even monogamous
marriage was viewed as a concession to the devil, polygamy was seen as outright
immorality, a societal crime of lewdness which cast the Jewish community in a
negative light in the eyes of society at large. Perhaps in order that Jews  not
seem less 'moral' than their gentile neighbors did Rabbeinu Gershom ban
polygamy at this time [c. 1100]"  R' Wein does not mention domestic discord  at all.

Grayzel writes, "The Bible permitted Jews to have more than one wife.   As
time went on, however, the Jews adopted monogamy as their rule, although,  since
the law on the subject had not been changed, there was a Jew now and then
who married more than one woman. This gave their Christian neighbors a chance to
 speak ill of the Jews.  It probably also resulted in quarrels within the
family."  Nothing about R' Gershom's private life.

BTW I once met a man whose mother was one of two co-wives in a Sefardi
family and he told me that his mother and the other wife squabbled constantly  and
that he would never think of taking a second wife himself.  He said his
father treated both wives as if they were two more of his squabbling children,  and
the women were not treated with respect.

I can't understand modern-day feminists who, when you tell them gay  marriage
may lead to polygamy, respond, "So what?"  I don't know how they  can fail to
see that in a polygamous society women's status is drastically  compromised.

--Toby  Katz

5 Travel Deals!