[Avodah] Kiddush in Shul - Friday night

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Thu Oct 30 13:51:09 PDT 2008

In a message dated 10/30/2008, sba at sba2.com writes:

>>In the early days (1950s), the Minhag in our Shul was for the  Chazan to
make
Kiddush in Shul after Maariv - Friday night.
This minhag  was abandoned quite a long time ago. No idea why.

Our so-called  'sister'-shul in Sydney - which has long since lost its
Hungarian-type  families and is mainly made up of BTs and neo-Litvaks etc
(and not too many  of those either), still has this Minhag.<<

>From what I've read, poor people and travelers  used to sleep (and often,
eat) in the shul and that's why they made kiddush in  shul.  Nobody sleeps in
shul anymore, everybody is going someplace else for  the meal and there is no
need to make kiddush in shul. Some shuls retain  the custom anyway.  New BTs or
becoming-BTs might need to hear kiddush  in shul because they don't know how to
make kiddush themselves.

--Toby  Katz

5 Travel Deals!