[Avodah] rain on succot

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Fri Oct 17 06:24:01 PDT 2008

>From RYGB's blog  <http://rygb.blogspot.com/2008/10/sukkah-q.html>:
>> .....So why  do we celebrate Succot now
>> at the beginning fo the rainy season if  we are putting orselves at
>> risk of encountering this siman  rah?

> It's a good question, to which I never really paid any  attention. I
> think that the logic is that the lack of rain is thus  clearly indicative
> of Hashgocho, as would not be the case at another  time of year.

Micha  Berger

I think the premise of the question is  incorrect.  Sukkos falls late-ish
once in a while only because we  stuck in an extra month to make Pesach fall late
so that Pesach would be in the  spring and not in the winter.  However
normally Sukkos is an autumn, not a  winter, festival, and the calendar is so
arranged that it normally is not [yet]  the rainy season when Sukkos comes.  It's
/not/ "supposed" to be a holiday  of the rainy season.

--Toby  Katz
GCT