[Avodah] The Tochacha of Vayelech

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Wed Oct 8 13:26:36 PDT 2008

I found the 5th and 6th aliyos of Vayelech to be rather unusual.

It seems to start much as the other Tochachas do, with dire warnings that in the future Klal Yisrael will forsake Hashem and turn to other gods. As a result, awful things will happen to us, and Hashem will be angry and will hide Himself from us.

In other Tochachas, the subject eventually turns to telling us that the cure for this situation is that we should return to Hashem. But I don't see any of that here.

Instead, as different sort of remedy is told: We should write the Shira, and teach it and learn it, and it will be a witness for us. And then, even when we eat, and are sated, and got fat, the Shira will testify for us.

What's going on? Beside the original mitzvah to write the Shira in the first part of Devarim 31:19, the Shira is mentioned another three times in the following pesukim. Something significant is being talked about, and somehow, I'm missing the point.

My guess is that - especially if the Shira refers to the whole Torah - then perhaps it is telling us that learning Torah will bring us back to Hashem. But somehow I think there's something more going on. And if the Shira is Haazinu, then I'm totally lost.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Akiva Miller