[Avodah] Ugli Fruit as a Siman

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Oct 8 07:03:01 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 09:32:50AM +0200, Eli Turkel wrote to Areivim:
:> It's called an ugli fruit.  It's a cross between a grapefruit and a
:> tangerine.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugli_fruit

(And thus "May our enemies have an ugly year" as a siman milsa.)

: Can one use a murkav for a siman?

R' Meir Shapiro wrote that the significance of using bee honey in
particular (as opposed to date honey as devash or some other sweetener)
is that the gemara uses a proof from a pasuq to show that it is
mutar despite having bee parts disolved in it. Thus, bee honey
is an example of letaheir es havemei'im.

Using a murkav, that heter can come from a maaseh issur, arguably makes
a similar point. (Although I'm just using that an excuse to share the
previous vertl.)

GCT!

Micha Berger             It isn't what you have, or who you are, or where
micha at aishdas.org        you are,  or what you are doing,  that makes you
http://www.aishdas.org   happy or unhappy. It's what you think about.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Dale Carnegie