[Avodah] Lashes on E.Y.

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Oct 7 12:15:49 PDT 2008

Cantor Wolberg wrote:
> Has anyone ever heard of the minhag (stated in S.A.) to receive Malkus
> (39) on E.Y. in order to expedite the Teshuva process?

Yes. I'm surprised that anyone has *not* heard of it.

> It's more of a symbolic gesture rather than painful lashes.

Exactly.

> However, for heavy handed people, I think there should be an option to
> give 39 dollars instead.  (Although, for some, that might
> be more painful).  :-)

There are two powerful incentives not to use a heavy hand:
1. It's erev yom kippur!
2. Usually two people give each other malkos; knowing that in a few
minutes the guy you're hitting will be holding the belt, or that a few
minutes ago he was hitting you and went lightly, should be enough.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.