[Avodah] Pat palter

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Mon Oct 6 05:57:56 PDT 2008

		And actually, this applies not only to pas palter/akum,
but also to *bishul* akum. I've asked this before, but I'll repeat it
now: If certain foods were prohibited by the legislation of bishul akum,
those foods must have been mutar prior to that enactment. But how
*could* they have been allowed? With absolutely zero Jewish involvement
in the cooking, how confident could they be that a vegetable soup had
only kosher ingredients? (I specify "vegetable", on the possibility that
Basar Shenisalem Min Ha'ayin was already forbidden when Bishul Akum
became forbidden.)

	Well, it's the same affluence issue. In a society where most of
the population probably had meat once a week, why would anyone put meat,
fish, dairy or eggs into a plain soup if he didn't have to?

	-- Kayza
	So back to my original point - fiats of this nature imply an
underlying  data set which were not included as part of the  fiat - how
does this impact current applications when the data set changes? (it
sometimes seems we're more concerned with the mirroring of the action
rather than chazal's concerns - an argument can be made for this
approach.)

	GCT
	Joel Rich

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.