[Avodah] Pat palter

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Oct 1 20:36:15 PDT 2008

Rich, Joel wrote:
> Is the understanding of this from the time of the original exemption
> that we know the ingredients are kosher and that he never uses the oven
> for something else or just that "normally" this is the case (i.e. no one
> is checking on a regular basis on this particular baker)

AIUI, at the time it was unheard of for bread to contain anything treif,
so there was no need to worry about it.  This continued to be the case
in many countries until quite recently.  Bread was bread, and it had
known ingredients, none of which were a problem.  Anyone who enriched
his bread with unusual ingredients would surely advertise that fact,
and charge extra.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.