[Avodah] Sheitels

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Thu Dec 11 11:35:18 PST 2008

>From Deiah Vdibbur - does anyone know by whom  and where this
pronouncement was made and what the reaction was ?

Forty years ago gedolei Yisroel zt"l vylct"a issued a notice on the
issue of shaitels: "Since as a result of our many sins there has been a
breach of late, leading married women to wear wigs that resemble actual
hair of different types that our forefathers never imagined could look
so much like uncovered hair chas vesholom, we hereby feel obligated to
make known the position of our holy Torah is that this is absolutely
prohibited, for even in regions where it was customary to permit wigs,
such wigs were never even under consideration. One aveiroh leads to
another, and there is no permission to wear such wigs."

KT
Joel Rich

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.