[Avodah] Pat palter

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sat Oct 4 18:37:01 PDT 2008

R' Joel Rich wrote:
> I think I remember once learning that we assume all their
> keilim (including stoves I guess) are assumed not ben
> yomo but I don't know why or if so, was there an attempt
> to see the local teva.

Ditto. It's hard for me to imagine that in a society which was so much less afluent than ours, they had so many kitchen utensils that any random item was probably not used in the past day.

And actually, this applies not only to pas palter/akum, but also to *bishul* akum. I've asked this before, but I'll repeat it now: If certain foods were prohibited by the legislation of bishul akum, those foods must have been mutar prior to that enactment. But how *could* they have been allowed? With absolutely zero Jewish involvement in the cooking, how confident could they be that a vegetable soup had only kosher ingredients? (I specify "vegetable", on the possibility that Basar Shenisalem Min Ha'ayin was already forbidden when Bishul Akum became forbidden.)

> why isn't factory bread which has neither of the issues
> not "pat yisrael" much the same as milk per R' Moshe
> (and why was R' moshe later say yeshivot should drink
> chalav yisrael other than for "salute the flag" reasons.)

My impression has been that indeed, factory bread is mutar lechatchila, and that everyone agrees Pas Yisrael to be only a beyond-what's-required sort of chumra, in contrast to Chalav Hacompanies, which is a machlokes such that some poskim call it treif. Am I wrong?

Akiva Miller