[Avodah] Niskatnu haDoros

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Mon Mar 31 17:56:52 PDT 2008

: Why is this "start" a requirement? Assumedly to "undo" the start of
: codification, but philosophically I've always wondered why we didn't
say
: we'll follow the rules and let the chips fall where they may (i.e.
: yiftach bdoro vs. declaring a need for a change due to yiftach)

Because one rule is that bit in Edios 1 about precedent being binding
until one finds a BD gadol mimenu bechokhmah uveminyan. Therefore, as
chokhmah is lost, codified halakhah will increase. If someone refuses to
collect it in one place, they won't prevent ossification, they will just
cause more loss, and more chumros to be safe would ensue.

The rishonim, having not been through the crisis, are greater in
chokhnmah (with perhaps a handful of exceptions). It's not the SA that
cauysed the change in era, it was the qualitative loss in chokhmah and
mesiras nefesh (reishis chokhmah yir'as Hashem) that forced the writing
of the SA to prevent even more from being lost.

-Micha

-------------------------
AIUI Gadol mimenu only applies to gzeirot, not drashot.

KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.