[Avodah] RAYK and the end of chol

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Mar 31 15:26:30 PDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:59:34AM IST, Rt Shoshana L. Boublil wrote:
:> But the whole zerichas hashemesh model of geulah didn't stand up that well
:> to subsequent events. He wrote before WWII, after all.

: I'm sorry, but there is a basic misunderstanding of the model.  The model is
: "Ayelet HaShachar" that is - at first it comes and goes.  In real life there
: are ups and downs. There are moments of great steps toward Ge'ulah, and
: there are moments of great falls away from Ge'ulah, into darkness.

Do you have sources from before Oslo that suggest such a thing? Because
it's certainly not the way Orot was presented to me. (Nor how R' Dovid
Cohen understood it back when I learned from him in camp, although RDC
isn't necessarily an objective authority on hashqafos with which he
disagrees.)

I think that Yamit and Oslo posed such trouble for the DL community
specifically because it raised fundamental hashkafic issues. They defied
R' Kook's (admittedly more RZYK's) excpetations of the ge'ulah.

: The claim that it is a step ladder going one way is one I've seen, but not
: in Rav Kook.

Well, it's in Eim haBanim Semeichah, IIRC. But I'm pretty sure this is
how RAYK's metaphor was understood until recently, when his followers
were forced into seeing something they hadn't noticed before.

:> RAYK thought that the world was in an accelerated path to the geulah.

: Not at all.  What he saw was that the a change has come over the
: world...
: Can anyone honestly say, after seeing Israel export fruit and vegetables to
: the world, when comparing the situation here to what it was 120 years ago -
: when it was a land of swamps and desert, that something hasn't changed?

(Tangent: Obviously, Agudists can. Anti-Zionists will agree something
changed, but they will say it's the introduction of a nisayon. But the
neutral non-Zionist can say that it's not a fundamental change.)

I fail to see the gap implied by your "not at all" between my "accelerated
path to the ge'ulah" and your "a change has come". I think you're saying
that the change came and it's not a new "straighter" (to speak what little
I know of RAYK-speak) path to the ge'ulah? Isn't that what "reeishis
tzemichas ge'ulaseinu", declaring it "atchalta dege'ulasa", means?

: Rav Kook's view of learning chol has nothing to do with Zionism.  So, please
: don't mix the issues.

On this, I strongly disagree. Both depend heavily on RAYK's ability to
see the qodesh in everything. The Or Ein Sof that is even in the chol
(which is merely hidden qedushah, a/k/a a long curvy path).

: Rav Kook's view is based on the sentence (Zohar?) "Histakel BaTorah U'Vara
: Alma". So, there is no knowledge of this world that exists that is outside
: of Torah.  Therefore, there is no real "chol" as is common to think of
: history, math, archeology, languages etc. and in Rav Kook's view one has to
: study these topics and not just limit oneself to what he finds within the
: pages of the Talmud.

And no real chol in the secular Zionist. Hainu hakh.