[Avodah] Tiqun Olam

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Mar 31 14:29:22 PDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 07:31:26PM +0200, Michael Makovi wrote:
: Assuming I understand what you mean between idiomatically and
: literally non-idiomatically, I don't see how she'd mean the idiom -
: she specifically says she's taking it as p'shat, not according to its
: popular Kabbalistic meaning. Tikkun olam means "repairing the world".

If "tiqun olam" as an idiom is only used qabbalistically, then other
references to how one repairs the world, especially if they don't
particularly phrase it in terms of "repair", don't belong in a Wikipedia
(or any encyclopedia) article about "tiqun olam". Except perhaps as
contrast, not as a different variant of the idea.

For this reason I feel that the inclusion of RSRH's universalism doesn't
belong in a "tiqun olam" entry. It's shoehorning a different concept
into a paradigm in which it doesn't belong.

This is the same problem I have with your equating RSRH's position
with RAYK's on the role of the secular. They agree only in such
basic hand-waving terms that if you strip things out to that core,
only Rav Shim'on bar Yochai (and a subset of contemporary chareidim,
almost exclusively in Israel, who similarly shun leaving the cave)
would disagree.

Micha Berger             You will never "find" time for anything.
micha at aishdas.org        If you want time, you must make it.
http://www.aishdas.org                     - Charles Buxton
Fax: (270) 514-1507