[Avodah] Subject: What is a saris?

Michael Kopinsky mkopinsky at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 12:59:17 PDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Danny Schoemann <doniels at gmail.com> wrote:

> The Torah Shleimah Megilas Esther brings the [Medrash] Esther Rabbo.
>
> On the pasuk1:10 regarding the 7 Sorisim:Royalty never has fewer than
> 7 Sorisim serving the king. (Esther Rabbo 3:12)

I'm not sure what you're trying to infer from this medrash.  (Or if you
are.)  No one has disputed that these sarisim were servants.  The lashon of
sarisei hamelech makes no sense otherwise.  The only question is, were those
servants of the eunuch variety or of the fertile variety.

On the pasuk 2:3 HayGay Saris Hamelech: Mochui (Saris) Hoyo. (Esther Rabbo
> 5:3)

Can we be mashma from here that only the saris shomer hanashim was a eunuch
and not the other sarisim?  I don't know.

KT,
Michael