[Avodah] R' Angel & Geirus Redux

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 05:27:05 PDT 2008

>  I still don't see a clear answer to the question, because we are still
>  conflating accepting that one is obligated to do the mitzvos, and
>  promising that one will do the mitzvos.  These are different, and unless
>  we have a clear source indicating that the latter is required for
>  geirus, I'm not sure why we should presume that that is what RMF or
>  other poskim mean.  Of course, there is very strong reason not to accept
>  RMA's position even so, so as not to create geirim who are also avaryan.
>   But that is irrelevant to the question at hand, which is posuling
>  gerus done by a BD based on the former kabbalah only.
>

>  Daniel M. Israel
>  dmi1 at cornell.edu

Indeed - ALL gerim are not going to be able to keep all the mitzvot at
first - like a bar mitzvah. It's simply impossible for it to be
otherwise. Heck, an FFB is not able to keep ALL the mitzvot properly!
So practical observance of the mitzvot cannot possibly be measured by
anything except the effort and the intent.

So putting acceptance of the obligation per se aside, no one, no one
(including RMF), can insist on perfect mitzvah performance - it is
literally and objectively impossible. The only difference opinion
there can be is, is the required degree of success (by the ger) in
keeping all the mitzvot - NO ONE will succeed, but some will be better
than others. RMF and RMA can argue on this, but they cannot argue on
whether or not the ger must keep the mitzvot perfectly.

Mikha'el Makovi