[Avodah] half shekel

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Mar 24 02:59:21 PDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 11:24:30PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
: Micha Berger wrote:
:>                         The obverse of the seal is the eye-and-pyramid,
:> an old Masonic symbol, chosen by Washington (a Mason). The all seeing
:> eye represents a Deistic model of god. A well designed universe, the
:> pyramid, with the eye disonnected fromit.

: Washington was not a Deist.  His religious views were basically Unitarian
: (though officially he was an Anglican, and would attend church semi-
: regularly).  He definitely believed in Providence, i.e. a God who actively
: intervened in history, and to Whom it was appropriate to pray.  Thomas
: Paine was probably the only Deist among the founders of the USA.

I didn't say Washington was a Deist. I said he was a Mason, and chose a
Masonic symbol that happens to have a Deist meaning.

: > Quite easily arguable to be AZ.

: How is Deism arguably AZ? ...

The All Seeing Eye, being an image representing deity, is easily arguable
to be AZ.

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l