[Avodah] R' Angel & Geirus Redux

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sat Mar 22 19:52:52 PDT 2008

R' Daniel Eidensohn asked:
> 2) Furthermore I haven't seen any source that the rabbis
> of Reform and Conservative are considered tinok shenishba.
> Do you have any such source?

It seems to me that, by definition, we cannot be referring to those who had a proper education and then abandoned it. Such people would not be considered tinok shenishba by anyone. Rather, we must be referring to those who did *not* have a proper education.

So, if we're talking about "rabbis" who did not have a proper education, then why would they be different from the laity?

If you would say that the rabbis were in schools which did expose them to True Torah, then I'd answer that you're contradicting yourself. Either the teachers at C/R seminaries are legitimate Torah role models, or the students are tinok shenishba.

I say this with no sarcasm: I'm sure there is a flaw in that logic, but I cannot find it. Can someone please find it for me?

Akiva Miller