[Avodah] schechtworthy

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Mar 14 12:21:29 PDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 12:03:26AM +0000, kennethgmiller at juno.com wrote:
: That's not what I presumed the newsletter to mean. I had thought
: the problem to be that (from their perspective) a shochet who watches
: television is under suspicion of being a non-shomer mitzvos, which would
: make the shechita itself passul, regardless of any paskening he might do.

The way I understand it after RZS's post is that a shoecheit who watches
TV in a community where it's "not done" is a poreitz geder. And a poreitz
geder is deemed likely to cut corners on iffy halachic cases.

I think the newsletter writer himself my believe that anyone who watches
TV is willingly exposing himself to images that are assur deOraisa. I am
not sure there any images are assur deOraisa to watch (sexual, violent
or AZ), and doubly unsure WRT reproduced images. But even if deRabbanan,
why wouldn't someone who makes such choices -- assuming you agree that
the issur be'etzem exists -- be an avaryan and passul? (Again, I don't
think that is the actual sentiment the writer was necessarily recording.
Just a variant of the writer's understanding.)

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l