[Avodah] schechtworthy

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Mar 10 17:44:33 PDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 04:09:11PM -0700, Saul.Z.Newman at kp.org wrote:
: seen on a  newsletter---  A shochet that watches television is violating
: Biblical prohibitions. While this casts aspersions on his trustworthiness,
: he should not be removed. He must be first warned to cease from such
: behaviour (Shevet Halevi YD 2).

: q-is this a generally accepted disqualifier? ...

Assuming TV today is problematic -- and I could make a strong argument for
it -- I fail to see a deOraisa. With that factual issue (the postulate)
in question, I can't reach the next step.

This does toucheon my open question about Raba b"b Chana's barrels.
Rav (BM 83a) tells him he has to not only return the mashkon and be
mocheil the price of the barrels of wine, he had to pay them. "Lema'an
teileikh bederekh tovim, ve'orchos tzadiqim tishmor." (Teh' 2:20)

There is a chiyuv to walk the derekh tovim ve'orkhos tzadiqim.

How do you define being an avaryan WRT to these hazier "be moral"
imperatives?

Micha Berger             A person must be very patient
micha at aishdas.org        even with himself.
http://www.aishdas.org         - attributed to R' Nachman of Breslov
Fax: (270) 514-1507