[Avodah] history

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Wed Mar 5 05:00:23 PST 2008

R' Richard Wolpoe mistakenly thought that I was the one who wrote  this, and
appended my name to words I actually DISAGREE with:

==begin  quote==
> Now, I wonder, to what extent did Chazal realize when they were  being
> anachronistic? Is that they didn't care about historical accuracy,  but
> nevertheless knew when they were being anachronistic, or did  they
> genuinely lack a real historical sense b'klal?
==end quote==

In fact, it was R' Mikhael Markovi, not I, who wrote the quoted  material.

I actually objected quite strongly to such wording and replied to RMM, in
part:

==begin quoting myself==
I totally reject the  premise
that Avraham didn't really keep  the Torah at all and that Chazal "of
course"
were being anachronistic  when they said he did.  I therefore also  reject
your
question --  "Did they know they were being anachronistic and went  ahead and
told  us stories anyway, or were they so ignorant, as all ancient  peoples
were, that they had no idea of historical chronology?"
==end quoting myself==

I further wrote that it is NOT proper to speak of Chazal that way,  that we
may not speak of Chazal condescendingly or assume that they were  "ignorant,
like all ancient peoples."

--Toby  Katz