[Avodah] ashkenaz and sefard

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 20:50:16 PST 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Eli Turkel <eliturkel at gmail.com> wrote:

> :
> I was reading a sefer recently decrying the modern ashkenazi influence
> on sefardi customs. I found the argument quite silly. All communities have
> had multiple
> sources. Almost no community has been immune to outside influences unless
> they were physically cutoff from the rest of the world. One of the
> greatest sources of modern mutusal influence is the Rosh moving to Spain.
> Over the next some 200 years his family's traditions affected sefardi
> customs and vice versa.
> One interesting point is that the Rosh lists major differences between
> ashekenaz
> and sefard. customs. He does NOT list any differences in pronunciation!
>

> --
> Eli Turkel

Indeed a Great point. tt is not a black and white thing as was pointed out
Yekum Purkan is from Bavle and is Ashkenazic litrugy, and MUCh of Ashkenazic
litugry stems fro mRAv Amram Gaon

Every community got their "mindest" framed by seminal works.  For Bavel it
was th Bavli.  Fro Greece [as a chaver points out] it was the sh'iltos. For
most Jest 1-00 years ago it was  the Kitzur SA.  People and communities get
a comfort level based upon certain pervasive texts. I am guess that Ashkneaz
had several texts before the Bavli and that Halachos Gedolos was one of the
more influnetial.  If you see Tosafos on Women reading the Megillha, it
almost trying to get the Halcha in line wtih the Behag?  Why? Becuase the
Behag was like the Kitzur [or one of segveral such seforim] in early
Ashkenaz . The concept is idea framing!

And Ritva introduced a selw of Tosafistic ideas into Spain In fact Tools For
Tosafos says that besidse the Tosfaos harosh, chekc the Ritva if you are
struggling with a difficult Tosafos.  one would expect the Rosh to be
helpful, but the Ritva is right up there, too

When I say Minhag Asheknaz follows EY I Mean it is a trend not an absolute.

For example, RYDS was a Brisker nevertheless he split with Brisk re:
Zioinism

Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com
see: http://nishmablog.blogspot.com/