[Avodah] history

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 18:42:41 PST 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 7:32 PM, <T613K at aol.com> wrote:

> Now, I wonder, to what extent did Chazal realize when they were being
> anachronistic? Is that they didn't care about historical accuracy, but
> nevertheless knew when they were being anachronistic, or did they
> genuinely lack a real historical sense b'klal?
>

> *--Toby Katz
> =============*

fwiw Arhsh shows an anachronism wrt bittul hametz & bedikah.  He notes that
at the mishnah level, bittul was not yet a given and this changes the
dynamic of what is implied, iow w/o bittul a safek is a s'orraisso, while
with bittul a safek us derabbavnan [the tur makes this explicit hilluk]

also fwiw from the mishnah there is [apparently] no such thing as krias
megillah at night.  this is a memra of RYBL.  this can be understood that
megillah in a kfar is pushed backto yom haknissah this will not help wrt
the evening k'riah...

also the Rosh [and tosafos] learn that lechem mishna is required at the
Seder, but this might have bee na Gaonic enactment re:  YT, and only existed
in Almud on Sahbbbos. hence Behag is mechaleik between  Seder  on Sahbbos [3
matzos] and seder on weeknight] 2 matzos.   Was Behag ware of the
anachornism, or was he BEFORE the Gaonic Takkanah?

it seems some poskim are more aware of the chronology then others.

-
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com
see: http://nishmablog.blogspot.com/