[Avodah] Does God Change His Mind?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Mar 4 13:55:48 PST 2008

On Mon, March 3, 2008 5:59 am, Michael Makovi wrote:
: [RRW:]
:> And what if a person wants to behave in a Divinie of "G-dly" manner.

:> To put it simply, he knows no Halcha but he is  motivated to live up
:> to his innate sprit/soul/highernature etc.

: That's another good objection, but not to Kant per se, but rather, to
: any morality sans revelation. If a person wants to be good, well and
: good, but how will he know how? Ein am haaretz chasid, the Gemara says
: regarding Avimelech....

Doesn't Hillel define morality to the geir quite simply: De'alakh
sani, lechaveirkha lo sa'avod. That's kol haTorah kulah not only in
the short time one can balance on one leg, but also the Torah is
presented as standing on that one leg.

Similarly, concepts as "qedoshim tihyu" or "ve'asisa hatov vehayashar"
presume that there is some validity to how we understand these
concepts beyond how they're spelled out in halakhah.

What you need revelation for is to understand how that one principle
maps to the complexities of real life.

See <http://www.aishdas.org/asp/2007/05/rest-is-commentary.shtml>.

: One may wish to say that Noachides must have some way of determining
: the truth by reason, for the Torah seems to demand this - only Jews
: saw Sinai, after all. To this, I'd say that Jews are to be their
: example...

I would propose the analogy: The Torah is to BY as BY is to the
nations. "Mamlekhes kohanim".

However, the Rambam requires that for someone to really be an
observant Noachide (or perhaps a geir toshav only) is that they
observe the 7 laws because they were relayed to Moshe in Sinai. That
someone who figured them out on their own is at best a chakham, not
from the chassidei umos ha'olam.