[Avodah] Kabbalah's Legitimacy

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 18:46:37 PST 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 11:26 PM, Yosef Gavriel Bechhofer <ygb at aishdas.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, February 14, 2008 6:18 pm, Michael Makovi wrote:
>
> I don't know why no one else responded to you, but I would find it
> difficult to reply to someone who states "*I* disagree" with the Rambam,
> RSRH et al.
>
> KT,
> YGB

Since when is disagreeing with a Rabbi a sin?

and yet Rabbiner Hirsch seems to equate R. M. Mendelsohn with R. Mosheh ben
Maimon [see 18th letter] - would you concur? Disagree?

And in my favorite Teshuva IM Orach Chaim pt.2  #100  RMF dismisses Tosafos'
right to  allow dancing on Sahbbos andfurthemore dimisses the BY's sevara
defending Tosafos - w/o really giving any cogent logic as to how the sevara
is flawed!

And yet when it comes to eating peanuts on Passover or using Shabbos Clocks
for anything other than lights - the whole world rejects RMF himself!  How
can that be?

Mah nafshach?  If RMF can trump Tosfaos and the Bet Yosef [in just one
teshuva!] - how can WE trump him?

Or is Torah more democratic than  that after all, and that ANYONE with a
raya can trump anyone else.   Rambam himself posits this in  his Hakdamah
to  Mishne Torah s his license for dismissing Ga'onic precdent.  Similar
points are made in Choshen Mishpat 25, that rayos can trump existing p'sak
or precedent!

And while many "gedolim" pasken based  upon the Zohar, the Ya'avetz jhas
questioned this practice, and the Rema did not give the Zohar much Halachic
weight - although he was certainly not  opposed to Kabbalh per se.

--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com