[Avodah] Baruch Shelo Asani Eved

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Feb 21 15:02:37 PST 2008

Micha Berger wrote:

> This is why the idiom is a "ger shenisgayeir" -- the person was
> always omeid lihyos geir, even before the geirus.

I've never understood this particular proof, from the fact that it
doesn't say "nochri shenisgayer".  It seems to me that "ger shenisgayer"
is exactly parallel to "ketinok shenolad".  Had the memra been "ger
shenisgayer ke'ubar shenolad" then the proof would make sense, because
"ger" would have been shown to be parallel to "ubar".  But since he is
being compared to a "tinok", the term used had to be "ger" not "nochri",
and it would have been so even if the baal hamemra did *not* consider a
ger to have been in any way Jewish before his giyur.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.